I’m 37 and nearly a half and it occurred to me that if there was anything that I really wanted to do before I was 40 then I might need to start planning them now. So I started thinking and talking about it with my friends.
One nice thing that has come up is how I’ve actually done quite a few very cool things that might be on other peoples lists. I’ve swum in the caldera of a live volcano, climbed a glacier, seen an iceberg (all Iceland), been to the Grand Canyon and Death Valley, gambled in Atlantic city and Las Vegas, scuba dived coral reefs and battleships (Red Sea and Scapa Flow), parachuted, visited the Pyramids of egypt, visited every national park in the UK, run a marathon, completed a triathlon and got married and had children. Probably other things that I’ve not thought of too.
So what other things would I want to do and how many are achievable before I’m 40? This may end up a list that changes over time but here are the ones I can think of (in no particular order):
- Sail across an ocean
- Write a book or magazine article and get published (nationally)
- Visit every continent (might not need to do Antarctica)
- Public display or exhibition of my photography*
- Solo wild camping trip*
- Olympic distance triathlon*
- Get a tattoo*
- Climb a 5000m+ mountain
- Watch England play live at Football, Rugby and Cricket and go to Wimbldon
- Own a bespoke suit
- Take part in ‘Tough Guy’ race*
- Go to a Music Festival (Glasto?)
- Learn to make amazing bread*
- See an Opera at Glyndebourne
- Try surfing
- Learn a foreign language
- Go skinny dipping
- Read ‘War and Peace’*
- Watch every Martin Scorsese film*
- Learn at least three magic tricks*
- Be on Radio 4
- Cycle London to Brighton (and get up Ditchling beacon without stopping)*
- Go to the Hay Literary Festival
- Go to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival
*Things to do before I’m 40
I’ve tried to pick things that are at least feasible, if quite challenging. Several are going to be a bit tricky due to financial constraints or with time considering I will have two young children that I will want to spend time with over the next few years.
Lets see how I get on.